Energy efficiency is a great way to cut your energy costs, increase energy independence, and help the environment. The average American home pays over $1,200 per year for electricity, contributing over 6 tons of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere.
If you use propane for your heat you know you pay even more.
Through efficiency, green power, or local generation, you can help be a part of lowering our energy costs and our carbon footprint!
Renewable energy such as solar and wind are very real solutions today but remember that approximately every $1 you spend on energy efficiency will save you $3 to $5 in the cost of a renewable energy system needed to produce that energy. In other words invest in energy efficiency first!
Typical Energy Consumption in a Home
In 2001, the US Department of Energy performed a detailed, nationwide survey of home energy consumption. The graph below presents these findings. This will help you identify the best places to start.
Getting Started and Important Tools:
There are so many resources and tools out on the web today making it hard to know where to go. This list should be a good start.
- Know your Energy Usage for the past year: Contact PSE directly 1-888-225-5773 or go to www.PSE.com and go to MY PSE Account. If you are using propane or heating oil contact your service provider to ask how many gallons you consumed in the past year. It is nice to see the usage on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Learn about current Energy Efficiency Tax incentives http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tax_credits.tx_index
- Conduct your Own Home Energy Audit:
- Hire a Professional to Conduct an Energy Audit:
- Island Sustainable Solutions, Brian McCleary, 360-914-1610 or email@example.com
- Zero Energy Plans, Cathy d'Almeida, 360-678-7000
- For Commercial Businesses, please contact your Energy Advisor at PSE, you may be eligible for an energy audit.
Additional Resources on the Internet
- Energy Star Website ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices. At this website you will find a good list of frequently asked questions.